Are you fascinated by data and building robust data pipelines which process massive amounts of data at scale and speed to provide crucial insights to the end customer? This is exactly what we, the Lodging Data Tech (LDT) group in Expedia, do. Our mission is 'transforming Expedia’s lodging data assets into Data Products that deliver intelligence and real-time insights for our customers'. We work on creating data assets and products to support a variety of applications which are used by 1000+ market managers, analysts, and external hotel partners.
Our work spans across a variety of data-sets like lodging booking, clickstream, and web scrape data, across a diverse technology stack ranging from Hadoop to Spark, Qubole and AWS. We are looking for passionate, creative and innately curious data engineers to join a new team, to build out a next generation machine learning platform to drive revenue opportunities for our lodging business.
As a Software Dev Engineer II you are involved in all aspects of software development, including participating in technical designs, implementation, functional analysis, and release for mid-to-large sized projects
What will you do:
- You will design and implement large scale real-time & batch data pipelines on the AWS platform.
- Prototype creative solutions quickly by developing minimum viable products and work with seniors and peers in crafting and implementing the technical vision of the team
- Communicate and work effectively with geographically distributed cross functional teams
- Participate in code reviews to assess overall code quality and flexibility
- Resolve problems and roadblocks as they occur with peers and help unblock junior members of the team. Follow through on details and drive issues to closure
- Define, develop and maintain artifacts like technical design or partner documentation
Drive for continuous improvement in software and development process within an agile development team
- Participate in user story creation in collaboration with the team
- Support and troubleshoot data and/or system issues as needed
Who you are: You’ll fit this role if you have
- Degree in software engineering, computer science, informatics or a similar field.
- 6-8+ years of relevant work experience in Big Data or distributed computing projects.
- 4+ years’ experience in designing and implementing Big Data/ML applications (data ingestion, real-time data processing and batch analytics) in Spark Streaming, Kafka, Hadoop.
- Solid server-side programming skills (Scala, Nodejs, or Java), and hands-on experience in OOAD, design patterns, and SQL.
- Strong experience with cloud computing platforms (AWS, EMR, Kubernetes, Docker).
- Experience with microservice architecture, and design.
- Experience on Hadoop-ecosystem technologies in particular MapReduce, Spark, Hive, YARN.
- Experience working on any one distributed database system like Hadoop (Hive/HDFS), Qubole, Teradata, Redshift, or DB2.
- Preferred - Experience on machine learning toolkits like spark mllib, H20, scikit-learn, R and ML techniques.
- Experience working with Agile/Scrum methodologies.
- Familiarity with the e-commerce or travel industry.
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce.All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or age.