Featured Career Paths
All Career Paths
Senior UI Engineer
Have you ever had the opportunity to impact the lives of millions of people in a meaningful way by helping them enjoy time away with their friends and families building memories? That is what we do here at HomeAway.com. A company within the Expedia portfolio, we are the world's leading online marketplace for the vacation rental industry with more than 1.2 million properties listed in 193 countries across our sites. We have over one billion visitors per year and serve more than one billion page views per month.
Challenges you can work on:
• Scale our web apps to more than 60k requests per second
• Leverage user behavior data and A/B testing to better understand our customers, fostering a community of trust to incrementally increase booking conversion rates
• Develop fast, scalable, highly available, and reliable web apps
• Use realtime data to understand customers’ needs before they do
• Dockerize our apps and services for cloud deployment
• Develop features that will drive our business through real-time feedback loops
• Develop smart web apps that will allow for in-session personalization based off user behavior and data
• Simplify core booking and listing workflow to enhance our travelers & suppliers experience
Technologies we use:
• Node.js, React.js, Backbone.js, Hadoop, Elastic search,Cassandra, AWS, Mesos, Docker, Linux, Jetty, Samza, Dropwizard, Kafka, Java 8
Who you are:
• BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent experience
• 8+years of experience developing highly available enterprise web applications with state of the art front end web technologies
• Excellent communication skills with ability to work well cross-functionally across multiple department
• An analytical problem solver that is passionate about delivering a high quality user experience
• Mobile first responsive design experience
• Cross-browser development & compatibility experience
• HTML, CSS and Less/SASS experience
What you'll do:
• Provide hands on technical leadership and participate in architectural decision-making
• Drive new features from inception to production, working across the company with product managers, UX designers and other stakeholders
• Dedicated to delivering tested and optimized high performance code for a distributed SOA environment (our stack satisfies 10s of thousands of requests per second!)
• Create and maintain quality software using best-in-class tools: Git, Splunk, NewRelic, Sonar and TeamCity
• Work with QA, product management and operations in an agile environment
• Participate in resolution of production issues and lead efforts toward solutions
• Grow a performant production environment in a way that makes the system increasingly reliable
• Participate in our inner source culture (Internal Open Source) by delivering high quality code that levels up not only your team but the entire organization
• Opportunities to showcase your work on our tech blog and internal & external conferences
• Conduct peer code reviews and act as a resource for junior developers
If you have a hunger to make a difference with one of the most loved consumer brands in the world and to work in the dynamic travel industry, this is the job for you.
Benefits & Perks:
• Competitive health and insurance benefits
• Competitive salary
• Annual target bonus or commission
• Paid vacation and sick time
• Free snacks and beverages
• Frequent company update talks with our leadership team
• Free listing on HomeAway.com
• Electronic, adjustable stand-up desk
• Discounted Metro & Rail pass
• Casual dress
Why join us:
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them to tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
HomeAway, a world leader in the vacation rental industry, is the place to book beach houses, cabins, and condos with more than two million places to stay in 190 countries. The site makes it easy to find and book the perfect vacation rental for any getaway, often for less than the cost of traditional hotel accommodations. HomeAway is part of the Expedia Group family of brands.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or age.