At Expedia Group, we believe in being thinker-doers - we are Makers.
Every day we seek autonomy, mastery and purpose in our work. Our "why" is to help millions of travelers find that ideal destination, phenomenal place to stay and a cool activity to make their trip a life experience. At the heart of this is Expedia Group’s Lodging Shopping team dedicated to connecting travelers with a phenomenal place to stay.
The Lodging Shopping team is looking for curious, empathetic, and creative problem solvers. We are a team of travel-loving makers, building a cutting-edge shopping platform using open-source technologies. Our platform serves customers on desktop, tablet, and mobile devices on Expedia Group sites and through a variety of partners. We innovate in the user interface and strive to improve overall user experience, including software, services and machine learning around the shopping experience. We know that we can't innovate a product without innovating the approach and the organization we use to build it – solving team problems is also part of our skillset. Our team is committed to pushing the boundaries of continuous delivery to get the best features into our customers hands in real time.
How you’ll work:
- You’ll be a leader, influencer, and contributor across our team. Our team is spread across the world with over 100 engineers, designers and product managers with diverse backgrounds working in unison to make a cohesive experience.
- You’ll work closely with engineering, user experience, analytics and product teams to understand customer problems, research and collaborate on technical solutions, and thrive in a time-boxed creative endeavor to deliver a solution.
- You’ll have deep care of serving customers on various platforms and libraries including Progressive Web Applications, Application Programming Interfaces (APIs), Cloud Networks, ReactJS and other cutting-edge technologies.
- You’ll work alongside a global, distributed, talented and nimble team of cross-discipline makers, in groups of 4-8 people, to create innovative ways to deliver fast and performant experiences.
- You’ll be involved in cross-discipline interaction to translate problems into candidate solutions that will be tested qualitatively (through user research) and quantitatively (through business metrics).
- You’ll strive to connect the thinking with doing in a feedback loop and embrace ambiguity.
- You’ll thrive as a multiplier in a team environment with varied ideas and diversity of approaches to problems and their solutioning.
- An important part of your job will be your team's success. You will actively seek the advice of and direction from your colleagues and work with them to detail a common goal.
What you’ll do:
- Grow, mentor, and lead makers who design and ship great user experiences and not be afraid to work in the field (ie. get your hands dirty).
- Encourage easy to maintain products with reliable testing and tracking (analytics, logging and qualitative feedback).
- Appreciate the need for speed in customer experiences with an understanding of browser and mobile device rendering engines.
- Respect the craft - Review the code of your peers and help ensure the product and systems remains at a high standard and support global scale.
- Contribute to documentation (instructional and technical design, architecture, etc)
- Share your knowledge with other makers and bring about both technical and organizational goodwill across Expedia Group.
- Maintain a high awareness of industry issues and trends, particularly with regards to accessibility, usability, and front-end technologies.
- Invest heavily in building powerful teams through regular 1:1s, career planning, advice and care for developing individual strengths and exploring ways to manage or eliminate weaknesses.
Who you are:
- What it takes to be a Maker and you can relate to the following principles:
- A bias towards action - You believe that speed and quality aren't mutually exclusive. You've shown good judgment about getting features to customers while still making sure that products are built in a sustainable, adaptive and responsible way. You welcome the opportunity to learn and improve, by embracing a growth mindset.
- The grit to try and try again - You are willing to iteratively work at solving a problem, because you deeply care about customers, and you are open to a continuous feedback loop.
- Love the journey - You will be dissatisfied with the end result at some point. It might be a week after you've written the code or two weeks after you've designed a feature. Our work is never done and to thrive you have to learn to love the process of thinking, doing, learning, and improving.
- Done is better than perfect - Nothing is ever perfect. All of our customers are different with unique needs. We ship. We learn. We improve. We change.
- Respect the craft - To make anything is to try to add something meaningful to the world whether it is just for you or for many other people. Why do anything unless you will try to do it really well. We are the gatekeepers of quality.
- A passion for the journey to mastery. You have 3+ years of industry experience in a variety of contexts, during which you've built scalable, robust, and fault-tolerant solutions. You have a wealth of knowledge of internet technologies: front-end, middle and back-end as well as networking (TCP/IP, HTTP and infrastructure).
- Love for solving tough problems and understand that making a great solution also needs to scale to help as many customers as possible.
- Experience with semantic HTML and Cascading Style Sheets (CSS), building mobile-first experiences and a deep care for layout, cross-browser compatibility and multi-device support.
- An understanding of Web Accessibility, the WCAG guidelines and assistive technology such as screen readers would be beneficial.
- Experience using Git version control system.
- Experience developing highly interactive, web applications and passionate for UI/UX and responsive design.
Why join us:
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them the tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground, so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
If you have a hunger to make a difference with one of the most loved consumer brands in the world and to work in the dynamic travel industry, this is the job for you.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce.All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or age.