Are you a data architect who wants to work for an online travel technology company? If you enjoy working in a flexible, Agile environment where your efforts to architect data pipelines that have a direct impact on expanding our customer base and driving new business, then… Expedia is looking for YOU!
Hotels.com, an Expedia Group brand, are looking for data and software development enthusiasts who are highly motivated and disciplined, to join their awesome Engineering team.
You’ll be working on some cool projects using our cutting-edge technologies…
As a data architect, you’ll work with other experienced architects and engineers to research, design and enhance our Marketing Technology. You will focus on making all aspects of our marketing operations world class, from capturing and improving our data-flows through to working on our bidding engines or improving our email targeting. To do this, you will work closely with our product managers and business teams to make sure we deliver the right data, in the right way and using the right technology.
You will be responsible for:
- Being the focal point for the Hotels.com Data Engineering architectural direction, with a particular focus on our Marketing Tech.
- Collaborating across our Data product, architecture and engineering teams to provide technical direction and architectural input into data product development.
- Working alongside a diverse team of Hotels.com architects and data engineers and collaborating closely with other Expedia Group teams.
- Implementing high quality data solutions, including design, development, and deployment of new functionality for various facets of our Streaming Platform (Kafka), Hadoop and wider Data ecosystem.
- Providing technical coaching and mentorship across data engineering teams, fostering an environment of innovation, collaboration, and inclusion on Cloud (AWS, GCP) and on-premise (Hadoop) solutions
- Driving towards an architecture that optimizes flexibility, re-use, scalability, performance, and availability.
- Leading data, program & system architecture discussions to identify a suitable quality solution to the business requirement.
- Communicating and document solutions and design decisions and guide the implementation.
- Leading research & evaluation of new technology solutions, providing recommendations and training to adopt the most appropriate technology for the given problem.
- Driving evolution of standards & design patterns with industry standard methodologies and new technology to enhance productivity, quality, and system performance.
- Identifying system, infrastructure and project interdependencies and balance opposing demands to ensure the PODS can deliver positive and timely project outcomes.
We don’t believe in skill matching against a list of buzzwords…
We look for smart people with good experience in architectural thinking and a data engineering background because we believe that exceptional architects can learn new technologies quickly and well. However, it wouldn't hurt if you have experience with some of the following (or a passion to learn them):
- Demonstrate a deep knowledge & expertise of the Data Ecosystem.
- Data modelling and data warehousing.
- Strong understanding of metadata, schemas, lineage, data quality and anomaly detection.
- Strong knowledge & experience of designing and developing large scale data applications – using Kafka, Hadoop, Hive, AWS, Flink, Spark, EMR, Airflow.
- Strong knowledge of various SQL & NoSQL database solutions – Hive, BigQuery, Druid, Elasticsearch, AWS Aurora, Redshift, etc.
- Knowledge of online marketing – experience with bidding platforms, keyword optimization at scale.
- Experience of using cloud services (e.g. Amazon Web Services), particularly with an “infrastructure-as-code” approach (we use Terraform and Ansible).
- Experience solving complex and large-scale data problems and successfully delivering large scale projects, as an individual and team leader
- Effective mentoring and leadership skills and an ability to successfully drive design and implementation of data projects
- Excellent communication, presentation, and influencing skills, with the ability to explain technical details and challenges to a wide variety of audiences (including executive leadership).
- Ability to look at solutions in creative and unconventional ways, recognize opportunities to innovate, and engage partners in vision and strategy.
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic, collaborative and fast paced environment.
- Strong expertise utilizing a variety of data technologies.
- Look for and take advantage of opportunities to learn new skills and develop strengths.
- Show commitment to achieving challenging goals.
- Undertake objective, critical analysis to draw accurate conclusions that recognise and manage contextual issues.
- Be adept at Self-Management.
As a team we love to…
- Build high-quality data pipelines using cool technology.
- Work in an environment where elegant, clean, maintainable code is favoured over messy hacks.
- Share our knowledge with each other and learn new things.
- Host and attend meetups and conferences.
- Work with a diverse team across multiple sites around the world
- Take advantage of our amazing travel discounts and ticket some destinations off our bucket lists!
We believe that a diverse and inclusive workforce, is the most awesome workforce…
We believe in being Different. We seek new ideas, different ways of thinking, diverse backgrounds and approaches, because averages can lie and sameness is dangerous.
Expedia is committed to crafting an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. You will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or age.
We’ll take your career on a journey that’s flexible and right for you, whilst recognizing and rewarding your achievements…
- A conversation around flexible working and what is right for you is encouraged from day one/ your first conversations with Hotels.com.
- Competitive salaries and many growth opportunities within the wider Expedia Group.
- Option to attend conferences globally and enrich the technology skills you are passionate about.
- Cash and Stock rewards for high achievers.
- Extensive travel rewards and discounts for all employees!
Why join us…
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them the tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal: to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
If you have a hunger to make a difference with one of the most loved consumer brands in the world and to work in the dynamic travel industry, this is the job for you!
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia, Hotels.com, Expedia Partner Solutions, Egencia, trivago, HomeAway, Orbitz, Travelocity, Wotif, lastminute.com.au, ebookers, CheapTickets, Hotwire, Classic Vacations, Expedia Media Solutions, CarRentals.com, Expedia Local Expert, Expedia CruiseShipCenters, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo.
We’re excited for you to make Expedia an even more awesome place to work!
So what are you waiting for? Apply now and join us on our journey to become the #1 travel company in the world!
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or age.