Are you excited about solving real world problems with advanced machine learning methods?
Expedia is looking for a machine learning scientist/practitioner to join the core data science team that builds data centric features for the Expedia websites (Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Wotif and others). Our mission spans many areas that are core to our business, including search and sort, referral marketing, revenue management and geography. Your work will impact millions of our customers and will have a direct impact on our business results.
Expedia has deep and rich data sets, many still untapped, and your passion for the craft of statistics and machine learning has the power to unlock tangible growth for our business. We are looking for someone with hands on experience building machine learning models, either in an academic or industrial setting. You should have an advanced degree (PhD preferred) in machine learning / computer science or other quantitative discipline. Applicants from outside the machine learning field will be expected to demonstrate equivalent knowledge. Those who have done well in Kaggle competitions (especially ours) will be given special consideration.
- Understand the business problem, identify the key challenges, formulate the machine learning problem and provide/prototype solutions
- Be able to debug and correct your data assumption through AB testing
- Document the technical details of your work
- Collaborate and brainstorm with other team members
- Assess the methodological and functional pros and cons of implementing third-party products versus building an in-house system when facing a business problem.
- Collaborate extensively with stakeholders, program management, and software development team members to ensure that solutions meet business needs, permit valid inferences, and have functional feasibility.
- Strong communication skills both written and oral
- Passion about solving real world machine learning problem.
- PhD in one of the machine learning related fields: deep learning, graphical modeling, NLP, learning to rank, data mining and web mining.
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.