Are you ready to see your code making money in the real world? If you’re looking to join a team that thrives on your mastery of Python and deep understanding of data, the Hotels.com Search Engine Marketing (SEM) team is the place for you. We are looking for candidates who want to break the mold of the traditional data engineering role and use their data and coding super powers to fuel one of the most exciting marketing channels at Hotels.com. Join us!
What you’ll do
You’ll help to maintain and operate the data pipeline that runs the SEM bidding platform - as one of Google’s top global advertisers, we at Hotels.com partner closely with a dedicated Google team to test and implement new marketing technologies before they are released to the rest of the global marketplace.
You will also be able to try different bidding methodologies and strategies through A:B tests, and to come up with different and innovative ways to visualize our internal data.
To do this, you will:
- help design, build, maintain and operate the data pipeline that runs our bidding platform
- work with the team to devise, implement and test new tactics and strategies
- build rapid prototypes to enable quick feedback through our A:B test framework
- help understand performance and results, and think of new ways to visualize our data
- come up with ideas for new sources of insight and help integrate new datasets
- help the team deliver our P&L targets whilst meeting our RoI expectations
- partner with Google and others to ensure early adoption/testing of alpha and beta products
- ensure long-term stability of bidding operations by integrating with in-house bidding tech
What makes this role different? This isn’t about taking a pre-packaged tightly written story with a set of acceptance criteria and delivering it to spec. This role is about co-creating solutions – how should we think about this problem? What does the implementation look like? How will we know when it is correct? Know that once your solution is delivered it will be pushed out into the market and start making real trading decisions and spending money. The anticipation of results never loses the power to thrill…
You will be part of Hotels.com's Marketing Technology organization, reporting to the Senior Manager of SEM Bidding. You will work closely with the Director of Marketing Bidding, the Director of SEM Campaign Performance and their teams on a daily basis.
Who you are
- We want you to come with passion, creativity, expertise, openness, flexibility and drive, but above all a desire to learn and keep learning
- You care deeply about technology, want to get your code just right, are not afraid to refactor and explore alternative solutions, but when push comes to shove you know that 'Real artists ship'
- You want to move fast and if necessary break things - our partners are ever-changing and constantly refining the rules of the game so we're always aiming at a moving target
- You care about the impact of what you do. We build software not for its own sake (though we have a true appreciation of the craft), but to put the right hotels in front of the right people at the right time in our efforts to make them happy and hopefully loyal customers
- We want you to want to understand the big picture and how your work makes a difference
- We live, eat and breath travel revolutionized by technology. We work hard and play hard. We're never satisfied. We celebrate success and if we fall short we pick ourselves up, learn what we can, and try and try again.
- Degree with strong analytical focus (Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering, Statistics etc)
- 3-4 years of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified
- Fluent in python, moderate to advanced in SQL
- You can talk about code that you designed and built yourself, although you need to be able to code in a team too
- Great problem solving and analytical skills combined with the ability to explain concepts to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Ability to prioritize, communicate and deliver in the face of complex projects and time-sensitive deliverables
- Familiarity integrating with third party APIs: e.g. Google Ads or Google AdWords API
- Familiarity with python's core big data / data science libraries: e.g. pandas, scikit-learn etc
- Experience building big data pipelines with e.g. airflow
- Experience doing ETL and a solid understanding of database design
- Familiarity with core Hadoop technologies: e.g. hive, spark
- Experience with online technologies and e-commerce
Why join us:
Expedia Group recognises our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognise the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them the tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organisation but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
If you have a hunger to make a difference with one of the most loved consumer brands in the world and to work in the dynamic travel industry, this is the job for you.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.